Friday, July 27, 2007

WB Pizza

Address: 6165 Allisonville Rd.
Web Address: http://www.wbpizza.com/
Date: 7-25-07
Where: In Restaurant/Home
Pizza type: Upside-Down/Chicago Style

WB Pizza is across the street from Indianapolis pizza icon, Some Guys Pizza. Neither of us had heard of it, but we thought it was strange to open right across the street from a much more "famous" pizzeria.

The only reason we stopped was because Some Guys Pizza was so disappointing. Also, it would make a humorous story if a lesser known restaurant upstages an icon of sorts. We theorized that the WB stood for Way Better, but it stands for Will Barnes, proprietor of WB Pizza.
DAVE SAYS:
I'll admit the place isn't the best to look at. It looks like a strip mall restaurant. Don't let that stop you. This place is fantastic and more than made up for the mediocre pizza from Some Guys 10 minutes earlier.

I have never had service this nice in any restaurant in my life. We were the only dine in customers at the time and our waiter/cook was the owner. We didn't deserve such great service though. We talked about pizza the whole time. He's from the Chicago area and makes a real Chicago style pizza.

The pizza was really good. I mean really good. There wasn't a single ingredient lacking. The two best things were the crust and the sauce. Both are obviously made in house from fresh ingredients. You can taste the freshness of the ingredients.

So many deep dish pizzas have crust that I consider too chewy. From the edge to the center, the crust was perfectly crisp. It wasn't overcooked and crunchy. This is what a deep dish pizza crust should be like.

Will Barnes told us how he made the sauce, but I don't remember. It's stewed, or something, with onions, but they aren't overpowering. The onions add a crisp texture to the sauce that compliments the crust.

Maybe it was the fact that we just ate crappy pizza 10 minutes earlier. Maybe it was really that good. Maybe I didn't expect much. All I know is that I can't say enough good things about the place. I bought a t-shirt. That's how good WB Pizza is.

My final score is a 9 out of 10.

MATT SAYS:

No comments: