Sunday, August 19, 2007

Antonio & Maria's Old-World Pizzeria

Address: 2930 Shelby Street
Web Address: N/A
Date: 08-17-07
Where: In Restaurant
Type of Pizza: Maria's Traditional Thin Pepperoni


DAVE SAYS:
Until recently, Antonio and Maria's was called Maria's. We hadn't been there since the change and I was personally worried about the change. Would they ruin Maria's? Would they improve it? They ultimately chose to keep Maria's and simply add Antonio as an option. So, we didn't lose Maria's. The main difference is that Maria is thin crust and Antonio is pan.

Maria's has thankfully stayed the same and you must try it. Seriously. It is pizza, but this taste nothing like pizza you've had before. I've heard rumors that they have special ovens or something, but I think it's the sauce.

I really want to know the secret to the sauce. While the whole pizza is good, there is something about that sauce. I'm not sure what it is, but it is unique. I can see some people being turned off of the sauce at first because it's so different. It's good though. Trust me. The sauce is what really elevates Antonio & Maria's.

Maria's crust is really good too. The crust is flaky without being like a breakfast pastry. The pizza is still solid and not some crappy foldable New York slice of pizza. It's good stuff.

The cheese is genuinely good. I'm not huge on cheese, but they do it well. There isn't too much, but it's not underwhelming either. They really brown the cheese which I think has something to do with those special ovens or something.

If you want seriously good pizza, try Antonio & Maria's. Here's an idea of how good it is: While there, a guy from Chicago was there and I overheard that soemone came from Ohio for the pizza. People don't drive from out of state to get bad pizza. The only problem I have with the place is that it's really small (three tables in the whole place). I'd plan on getting it to go, but I've never seen anyone except us eat at the restaurant.

My final score is 9 out of 10.

MATT SAYS:

No comments: