Sunday, August 19, 2007

Antonio & Maria's Old-World Pizzeria

Address: 2930 Shelby Street

Web Address: N/A
Date: 08-17-07
Where: In Restaurant
Type of Pizza: Antonio's Colossis 2" Pan Crust Pepperoni
DAVE SAYS:
Until recently, Antonio and Maria's was called Maria's. We hadn't been there since the change and I was personally worried about the change. Would they ruin Maria's? Would they improve it? AARRRGHHH! I must know. They ultimately chose to keep Maria's and simply add Antonio to it. So, we didn't lose Maria's. Phew, for a minute there, I lost myself.

That's right. We ate two pizzas at the same time.

I wanted to have a separate entry for the Antonio's because the pizza is different from Maria's. If you've had Maria's and liked it, you should try Antonio's as well. The main difference between the two is that Antonio's is deep dish while Maria's is not. Most of the stuff I've said about Maria's applies here. I'll only cover the differences.

If you read this regularly, you know that I'm not a cheese person. It's okay, but too much is too much. While a deep dish pizza generally has more cheese than a thinner crust pizza , it didn't bother me at Antonio's. They don't skimp on the cheese, but it doesn't bother me. The cheese isn't brown nearly as much as with Maria's pizza though.

The crust is really good. It's thick and chewy. The crust is similar to WB's Pizza. The only problem with the crust is that it is advertised as being two inches, but there is no way it was that tall. I'd say it was more like an inch and a half. This is a minor quibble, but it is advertised as a 2" Colossi.

Overall, I give Antonio's a 9. I give a slight edge to Maria's, but not enough to say make a different score.

MATT SAYS:

No comments: